When a heat wave hits, few things taste as good as a wedge of ice-cold ripe watermelon. Make it even more irresistible with a sprinkle of homemade herb-sugar and a squeeze of lime.
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup fresh herbs (basil, mint, cilantro)
- Fresh lime slices
- Basil pairs perfectly with watermelon.
- Add jalapeño pepper to the processor with the sugar and herbs for a spicy kick.
- Put sugar and herbs in bowl of food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Pulse until herbs are finely ground and mixture is well combined.
- Squeeze lime slices on watermelon slices and sprinkle with herb sugar.
There is nothing more refreshing than watermelon granita at the end of a meal, or on a hot summer’s afternoon rocking on the back porch or stretched out on the deck in a hammock or on a chaise lounge.
You can use this recipe for any fruit or vegetable juice. Make a cucumber or carrot granita to serve with shellfish – an unexpected twist, but one that absolutely works!
- 4 cups watermelon cubes, rind and seeds removed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Place watermelon, sugar and lemon juice in the container of a food processor or blender.
- Process until pureed and smooth.
- Pour into a shallow pan or dish and freeze for 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer and using a fork or spoon, rake the granita.
- Return to freezer and freeze for 2 hours.
- Repeat process.
Remove the pan from the freezer and gently scrape the top layer with a spoon or fork. Return to freezer for a couple more hours. Repeat this process until it’s all scraped. The great thing about granita is that the light, scraped ice on top stays perfectly frozen int he freezer. It never clumps up or crystallizes. It’s always light, cold and perfect.
Summer is the season that doesn’t take itself too seriously, so the moment is right for equally lighthearted, easy-drinking (and inexpensive) thirst quenchers like the following Watermelon Martini.
- 5 cups watermelon cubes (rind and seeds removed)
- ¾ cup lemon vodka
- 6 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Place watermelon cubes in container of a blender or food processor and process until pureed.
- Add vodka, lime juice, orange liqueur and sugar and process until combined.
- Pour into a pitcher and chill for 4 hours or place in freezer until very cold.
- Stir before serving.
- Rim martini glasses with lime sugar, if desired and chill until ready to serve.